The challenge in making New Year's Resolutions


I love this time of year because it is a chance to begin something new and to redeem what we may have lost. 

If you are like most people, you have already been thinking about making New Year Resolutions. You are probably on day 3 of a new diet and exercise plan. You might even be on chapter 3 of a new book. You might even be on day 3 of a budget crunching spend plan. And you might even have read 6 chapters in the Bible in the attempt to read it cover-to-cover this year. 

While all of these and many other Resolutions might be good and wise, they probably lack one very essential element. They probably have been improperly implemented into your "new" routine, because you believe this is what you "should be doing."

Let me explain... Instead of setting Resolutions in the same fashion you have over the 30 years, begin by asking this question "what is the thing, action, activity, plan, or resolution that will help me become the person, that God has made me to be?"

In other words, "why am I doing this?"... instead of, "I should do this? "

Pull away and spend time alone with God, and begin asking some of these questions, before making resolutions.

* What is the thing I can do to reach my redemptive potential this coming year?
* Where am I believing lies about myself that keep from becoming that person?
* Is there any thing, habit, or action, that is keeping me from making that happen?
* What are the steps I need to take daily this year, to make that happen, so that I will not be in the same place again next year?
* What do I need to do, to help me stay on track, to see these dreams come true?
* How can I measure or track my forward progress?
* What are the ways I can celebrate the wins along the way, to keep this "new me" inspired to stay at it?

Now write down the goals and keep them posted, so you can watch "The person God made you to me" emerge in 2017!

When we know the "why" behind these resolutions we will be motivated to do them in the power of the LORD!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I am learning as the years wind down for my parents

Let you in on a little secret

My 55 year-old me talking to my 18 year-old me