Why I love Christmas Eve.

Without a doubt Christmas Eve is one of my top five gatherings at Grace Community and here is why:

* The joy and excitement in the room is palpable. Kids are decked out in Christmas dresses and outfits. Family members from across the states have made their way home and are seated together. 

* Tradition is a good thing for one night. Familiar Christmas songs and medleys are sung. Candles are rolled out as we sing Oh Holy Night. The same, yet powerful, and still life-changing Bible passage, is read concerning the birth of Jesus. Adults and children are seated together. 

* Things slow down. people mingle in the hallways drinking wassail and hot coffee. Its as if you don't want to rush through the night because family is finally all together.

* The offering, every penny, goes to the underprivileged . We will send out a group of people to bless a family, that is on hard times, with the entire offering from that service, and then do a Facebook live video of them receiving it. It is the true spirit of Christmas that Jesus demonstrated when he came, "giving and getting nothing in return."

* New faces lace the crowd. Its often the first time someone walks into your church building to attend a service and we get to tell them about the hope in Jesus!

* Jesus is the reason we celebrate and people are fine with that. Even the unsaved are fine to spend an hour celebrating Jesus because that is what you do at Christmas.

* The the little kids are bubbling with the thoughts of Christmas Morning. They can hardly wait till Christmas morning to open gifts.

* My family carries on a tradition together. At the end of the 5th service we travel to Mishawaka and eat at The IHOP and visit a neighborhood called winding brook meadows to look at all the Christmas lights. Plus we tip the Waitress with a generous Christmas gift! And we get to thank God for another year of life with Jesus.

* I get to stand with my pastoral staff and read the Christmas Story. After laboring hard together week after week I get to surround myself with men I would die for and who have stood with me all year long. I love this moment!

* I cherish another Christmas Eve with my bride as we roll home around midnight. The greatest gift i have ever received outside of Jesus is my wife, Anne. She fills the stockings up and we thank God for another year to do life together.

I am looking forward to our 5 Christmas Eve Services 1pm 2:30pm 4:00pm 5:30pm 7pm. And this Christmas Eve we have planned another memorable service to exalt the name of Jesus. Plus 5 special offerings will bless this community! Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I am learning as the years wind down for my parents

My 55 year-old me talking to my 18 year-old me

Let you in on a little secret